Ever heard the phrase “you are what you eat?” It’s not too far from the truth! Maintaining a well-balanced diet is always essential to your health; proper nutrition is necessary to stay energized, keep your immune systems strong to fight diseases, and live a long, healthy life. It’s even more critical when you’re pregnant and “eating for two.” Ensure you’re taking in the right amount of nutrients – more than you needed before pregnancy – so that your baby can get enough to develop healthily in utero.
Snack time is more important than ever during pregnancy, not just because you’re dealing with some wacky cravings, but because it is a great way to sneak in nutrition. Below, we’ll go over some nutrition guidelines and help you determine which foods to eat and which to avoid, and share some healthy snack suggestions.
As we said, making sure you’re eating healthy and providing both you and your developing baby with proper nutrients is one of the most critical factors in pregnancy.
John Hopkins medicine says that to ensure a smooth, healthy pregnancy, you should consume an additional 300 calories more than you did before pregnancy. Those extra calories should come from healthy foods like protein, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, providing balanced nutrition.
The extra calories you consume while pregnant will help lead to the appropriate weight gain you and your baby need. Not only that but maintaining a well-balanced diet will even help curb some of those annoying pregnancy symptoms like nausea and constipation.
It’s also essential to ensure you’re getting all the right vitamins and minerals – if not from the food you eat, then from supplements. Of course, regular exercise and proper hydration are always recommended as well.
You know you need to eat healthily; that’s a no-brainer. But what exactly does that mean? Here are some of the best foods to eat to promote healthy development during your pregnancy:
You likely know the basics to avoid when you’ve got a bun in the oven: alcohol, raw fish, and high amounts of caffeine. But to ensure you have all your bases covered, here’s a list of the foods you should stay away from:
You’re not expected to lead a perfect lifestyle while pregnant, including your diet. Making healthy choices is the best way to ensure your and your baby’s health both during and after pregnancy. Try to stick with the 80/20 rule and stay on track 80% of the time. This gives you the leeway to enjoy the remaining 20%. Keep your monthly checkups at your Ob/GYN to make sure you and your baby are on track. And remember, to pack in protein and nutrients, switch your bag of chips for a hummus platter with veggies. You’ll probably find it’s just as tasty and makes you feel great.